Built and Engined by
CANADIAN VICKERS LIMITED
Keel laid November 5, 1943 — Launched March 28, 1944 — Completed in July 1944
Hallowell – Prince Edward County – Province of Ontario – Canada, was
visited for the time by loyalists in 1784 - founded in 1797. The
name "Hallowell" was given in honour of Benjamin Hallowell, who was a
prominent loyalist, and formerly from Boston. The first meeting of the
municipality took place in 1798. Amongst the first pioneers were Major
Peter Vanalstine and Lieutenant Paul Huff. The first house was inhab-
ited by Colonel Archibald MacDonald and was built by shipbuilders.
Þ Picton, founded in 1830, is an important town in Hallowell Township.
A Canal was constructed between Picton and Prescott the same year. In
1830, the "Hallowell Free Press" was put into operation. Þ Benjamin
Hallowell was knighted and subsequently became an Admiral in the
Royal Navy. The name Carew was added to his own after his
marriage to Mrs. Carew. Sir Benjamin fought as a Captain under
Viscount Lord Nelson at the battle of the Nile. In the biographical
memoirs of Nelson, published in 1806, it is recorded that Captain
(later Admiral) Hallowell had been mentioned in despatches by Nelson.
Þ It may be said, therefore, that H.M.C.S. "Hallowell" has been named
after one of Lord Nelson's Captains.Þ
Shown below is an authentic
impression of the signature of Vice-Admiral Sir Benjamin Hallowell Carew, taken from the Carlton House Register in London, England,
and dated September 11th, 1828.
The signature of Sir Benj. Hallowell Carew and certain of the
above information was obtained through the courtesy of Mr. C.G.
Hallowell of Paris, Ontario, a distant relative of Sir Benjamin.