Howard Irving Chapelle (1901-1975)
Howard Irving Chapelle (1 Feb. 1901 – 30 June 1975) was an American naval architect, curator of maritime history at the Smithsonian Institution, and reasonably prolific author of books and articles on maritime history, and boat, yacht and ship design.
- The Baltimore Clipper (1930), the Marine Research Society.
- The History of American Sailing Ships (1935), W.W. Norton.
- Yacht Designing and Planning (1936) W. W. Norton & Company; revised and enlarged edition, same publisher, 1971.
- American Sailing Craft (1936), New York, Kennedy Bros.
- Boatbuilding : a complete handbook of wooden boat construction (1941) W.W. Norton & Company Inc.
- American Small Sailing Craft : their design, developement and construction, (1951), W. W. Norton
- The History of the American Sailing Navy: The Ships and Their Development (1949), W. W. Norton & Company.
- The National Watercraft Collection (1960), Smithsonian Institution (Bulletin (United States National Museum), no. 219.)
- The Search for Speed Under Sail 1700-1855 (1967), W. W. Norton & Company
- The American Fishing Schooners 1825-1935 (1973) W. W. Norton & Company, ISBN 0-393-03123-3
Co-authored with Edwin Tappan Adney:
Co-authored with Leon D. Polland:
Many of his later papers are archived at the Smithsonian Institution Archivesunder reference SIA RU007228