Daniel Bernoulli, (29 January 1700 - 17 March 1782)
Swiss author of "Hydrodynamica, Sive De Viribus et Motibus Fluidorum Commentarii" Strasburg, J.R. Dulsecker, 1738, in which Bernoulli's Principle is first described. His chief work is Mécanique Analytique which resembles Lagrange's Mécanique Analytique in that all results are consequences of a single principle – the conservation of energy. This was followed by a memoir on the theory of the tides, and a memoir, jointly with Euler and Maclaurin; these three works contain all that was done on this subject between the publication of Isaac Newton's Principia Mathematica and the later work by Pierre-Simon Laplace.
Bernoulli's Principle (right) is a theory that holds true to this day in hydrodynamics and aerodynamics – the "lift" of sails and aeroplane wings, pitot tubes, hydroelectric dams and fire hoses are prime examples, and with additional derivations can be applied to supersonic flight.
Other works concerning Bernoulli:
- Bernhard H, The Bernoulli family, in H Wussing and W Arnold, Biographien bedeutender Mathematiker, Berlin, 1983
- Cannon, John T and Dostrovsky, Sigalia, The Evolution of dynamics, vibration theory from 1678-1742. No. 6 in Studies in the History of Mathematics and Physical Sciences, Springer-Verlag, New York, 1981
- Grigoryan AT and Kovalev BD, Daniel Bernoulli 1700-1782 (Russian), Scientific - Biographic Literature 'Nauka', Moscow, 1981
- Nikiforovskii, The great mathematicians Bernoulli (Russian), History of Science and Technology Nauka, Moscow, 1984
- Delsedime, Piero, La Disputa delle corde vibranti ed una lettera inedita di Lagrange a Daniel Bernoulli, Physis : rivista internazionale di storia della scienza. - 13, 2, 117-146, 1971
- Dietz, Klaus, Bernoulli was ahead of modern epidemiology / K. Dietz ; J.A. Heesterbeek, Nature. - 408, 2000
- Dietz, Klaus, Daniel Bernoulli's epidemiological model revisited / Klaus Dietz, J.A.P. Heesterbeek, Mathematical biosciences. - 180, 2002
- Gower B, Planets and probability : Daniel Bernoulli on the inclinations of the planetary orbits, Stud. Hist. Philos. Sci. 18 (4) (1987), 441-454
- Grigoryan AT and Kovalev BD, Daniel Bernoulli (Russian), Voprosy Istor. Estestvoznan. i Tekhn. (1) (1982), 108-112
- Kendall MG, Daniel Bernoulli on maximum likelihood, Biometrika 48 (1961), 1-18
- Kendall MG, Studies in history of probability and statistics : Daniel Bernoulli on maximum likelihood, Biometrika. - 48, 1961
- Puppini U, La forma originaria del teorema di Daniel Bernoulli nell'idrodinamica, Mem. Accad. Sci. Ist. Bologna. Cl. Sci. Fis. (9) 10 (1943), 75-86
- Sheynin OB, D Bernoulli's work on probability, in M G Kendall and R L Plackett (eds.), Studies in the History of Statistics and Probability II (London, 1977), 105-133
- Sheynin OB, D Bernoulli's work on probability, RETE 1 (3-4) (1971/72), 273-300
- Sheynin OB, Daniel Bernoulli on the normal law, in M G Kendall and R L Plackett (eds.), Studies in the History of Statistics and Probability II (London, 1977), 101-104
- Sheynin OB, Daniel Bernoulli on the normal law, Biometrika 57 (1970), 199-202
- Sheynin OB, On Daniel Bernoulli's article of 1777 and on Euler's commentaries (Russian), Voprosy Istor. Estestvoznan. i Tehn. Vyp. 19 (1965), 115-117
- Speiser D, Daniel Bernoulli (1700-1782), Helvetica Physica Acta 55 (1982), 504-523
- Vischer V, Daniel Bernoulli and Leonard Euler, the advent of hydromechanics, in G Garbrecht (ed.), Hydraulics and Hydraulic Research: A Historical Review (Rotterdam-Boston, 1987), 145-156
- Weber, Heinrich, Die Näherungsmethode von Daniel Bernoulli und verwandte Methoden, Lehrbuch der Algebra. - 1, 1895)
- Wolf R, Daniel Bernoulli von Basel, 1700-1782, Biographien zur Kulturgeschichte der Schweiz (Zurich, 1860), 151-202
- Zeeman EC, Controversy in science : on the ideas of Daniel Bernoulli and René Thom, Nieuw Arch. Wisk. IV. Ser., No. 3, 1993 (1993), 257-282.
Bernoulli's Principle, where P is pressure, ρ is the density of the fluid and u is its velocity.