City of Madras
The name City of Madras was given to (at least) three vessels; the following were Clyde built or owned sailing vessels in the 19th century (Ellerman-Hall had two later steam ships, same name):
- City of Madras, 1855, ship, built of iron by Robert Steele & Co., Greenock at the Cartsburn Yard, for George Smith & Sons / City Line (precursor J.R. Ellerman), variously 800 or 914 tons. 1856 wrecked near Stranraer. see "Clyde Shipwrecks" by Peter Moir, Ian Crawford
- City of Madras, 1859, iron barque, built by Alexander Stephen & Sons Ltd at Kelvinhaugh; length 200' 0', beam 31' 8', depth 21' 10", 967 tons (builder's old.) Call sign PKTL. 1881 sold to Montgomerie & Workman renamed Duke of Connaught. National Maritime Museum have a painting signed "W.W." See A Shipbuilding History, 1750-1932 and Stephen of Linthouse.
- City of Madras, 1882, iron ship, built by Barclay, Curle & Co, Glasgow at the Clydeholm Yard for George Smith & Sons, Glasgow – The City Line; 1655 grt, 1577 nrt, length 260' 3", beam 38' 5", depth 23'; in 1900 sold to Hatfield, Cameron & Co, Glasgow renamed Wemyss Bay. Call sign WHBT. An unsigned painting of this vessel is shown here:
City of Madras, unsigned, not dated.