Picton Harbour, County of Prince Edward, Ontario, is at the southern end of the Bay of Quinte, specifically the arm known as the Adolphus Reach, continuing in a southerly direction into Picton Bay. The harbour has been dredged to a depth of 12 feet. At the entrance to the harbour is a freight wharf and some distance from this are several wharves with freight sheds, cold store, and coal shed. .
The total tonnage entered and cleared at this port for the fiscal year 1911-1912 was 348,748 tons, mostly "local-use" imports and agricultral exports. In 2015, the tonnage had reached 796,700 tons, including winter salt for road safety, and cement products . More recent numbers are apparently not available from Statistics Canada.
At the turn of the twentieth century, steamers called at this port to load fruit, unload merchandise and land passengers. The Richelieu and Ontario Navigation Company (A.W. Hepburn) owned a line of boats running between Lake Ontario and the St.Lawrence River and connect with Charlotte in the state of New York, across Lake Ontario, and through the Bay of Quinte. Picton harbour was also used by a number of local ships for winter layup. These two images, one a photograph, the other a drawing, show some of the "regulars". While the years are not known with certainty (they date to around 1900), and given the difference in the ships' positions, they were not the same winter season.
The 1935 Canadian Ports Directory reported that the largest vessel berthed was was the SS Calgarian, 250 x 43 x 23.5 feet, and that there were no port charges for vessels. They reported the following docks and wharfs :
- COLLIVER AND HUFF WHARF. Berthing length 300 feet
Shed along side 125 X 40 used for coal and general freight
- HEPBURN BROTHERS WHARF Berthing length 175 feet
Shed alongside 125 x 30 used for coal and general freight
- CANADA STEAMSHIP LINES WHARF Berthing length 250 feet
Shed alongside 225' x 40' for general freight
Canada Steamship lines called semi weekly from Montreal to Head of the Lakes.
- PICTON COAL COMPANY WHARF, berthing length 300 feet
Shed alongside 150 x 50 used for coal and general freight.