The schooner Flora Jane (1866)
Port of Picton Registry, Number : 16
|Name: FLORA JANE||Type: Schooner|
|Official Number: |
|Tons (gross): 91||Tons (net): |
|Where Built: Picton||Port of Registry / Hail: Picton|
|Build Year: 1866||Value: |
|Builder’s Name & Date of Certification: David Tait, October 15, 1866.|
|Master’s Name: ||Subscribing Owners: J. McCuaig, J. Morice & Jas. Cooper|
|Length: 94 feet||Breadth: 17 Feet (inside hold)|
|Depth of Hold: 7 Feet and 6 inches (from skin to deck) ||Masts: Two|
|Stern: Round||Bowsprit: Standing|
|How Built: Carvel||How Rigged: Fore and aft schooner|
|Figure-head: None||Decks: One|
See also the entry for the schooner Picton in our ships Database.
- VESSEL SANK IN SOUTH BAY & BECAME A TOTAL LOSS. REGISTER CLOSED FEBRURY 29, 1876 [sic].
- Subscribing Owners: J. McCuaig, J. Morice & Jas. Cooper, sold to James Cooper, dated April 29, 1876.
- FLORA JANE, schooner of 91 tons, built October 1866 by D. Tate of Picton, owned by Cooper & Others, valued at $----. Classed as ----. Remarks, Bottom of Barge INDIAN. Marine Insurance Index for 1878
- Note: "Built on the bottom of the barge INDIAN"
1866, October 15 : registered Picton, Ontario.
1876, April 29 : owned by James Cooper, Marysburg, Ontario.
1879 : owned by Cooper, et al, Milford, Ontario..
1889, February 27 : sank off Cooper's Wharf, South Bay, Prince Edward County, total loss; registry closed.
Newspaper and other transcriptions
- Association of Canadian Lake Underwriters Lake Vessel Register, 1873. Schooner FLORA JANE. Of 150 tons. Built at Quebec in 1861 by Lacomb. Owned by Couper. Home port, South Bay. Value $3,600. Class, B 1. REMARKS. -- Rebuilt 1866.
- National Board of Lake Underwriters Lake Vessel Register, 1873. Schooner FLORA JANE, of 91 tons. Built at Picton in 1866 by D. Tait. Owned by J. Cooper & others. Home port, Picton. Value, $3,000. Class, B 1. REMARKS. -- botton of barge INDIAN. Repaired in 1870.
- References to the schooner Picton appear in C.H.J Snider's work:
Schooner Days CMLXXXIII (983) More About Packman's Port, 23 Dec 1950
Schooner Days CMLXXXI (981) Ships Of Milford, 09 Dec 1950
References and source notes
(11) Online resource “The Great Lakes Shipwreck file" By David D. Swayze, Lake Isabella. MI
(12-21, 23-39, 41) Many of the contemporary newspaper cuttings can be found at Maritime History of the Great Lakes, Newspaper Transcriptons
(42) C.H.J. Snider Schooner Days index, Naval Marine Archive.