Naval Marine Archive - The Canadian Collection
Library Catalogue Ships database Research Collections Bibliography About us Donate

The schooner Morning Star (1868)

1.General

Port of Picton Registry, Number 29 : 8 in 1974

Name: Morning StarType: Scooner
Official Number: 71208Tons: 64
Where Built: Black River Bridge, MarysburghPort of Registry / Hail: Picton
Build Year: 1868Value:
Builder’s Name & Date of Certification: John Tait, 25 November 1868
Master’s Name: Micheal KeaghSubscribing Owners: Patrick McMahon and Micheal Keagh, Mariner
Length: 69 feetBreadth: 19 feet
Depth of Hold: 6 feet 6 inchesMasts: Two
Stern: SquareBowsprit: Standing
How Built: CarvelHow Rigged: Schooner
Figure-head: NoneDecks: One

NOTATIONS:

VESSEL FOUNDERED 5 MILES EAST OF OSWEGO U.S.A. ON OCTOBER 1880 AND WAS ABANDONED BY THE CREW. REGISTER CLOSED DECEMBER 31, 1880
CERTIFICATE OF REGISTRY DELIVERED UP, CANCELLED, AND DELIVERED TO DEPT. OF MARINE THIS 26 JANUARY 1881

Picton

Schooner Morning Star

Notes and newspaper transcriptions

See also the entry for the schooner Morning Star in our ships Database.

  1. November 1870, Bound Black Rock, Oswego, sprang leak near Picton, cargo barley.
  2. 1871 Owned Patrick McMahon, Milford, Prince Edward County, Ontario
  3. Sold to Sam Cardwell et al. dated 4 March 1871
  4. Sold to Alfred Dexter and James Eccles, all of Wolfe Island, dated 1873-06-18.
  5. Sold to Richard H. Charles, of Kingston, dated 1874-09-09.
  6. Sold to John Gaskin, Kingston, dated 5 January 1877
  7. Daily News (Kingston, ON), Dec. 3, 1877 : Drowned - Last night two young men by the name of McCarthy, brothers, residing on Wolfe Island, met their death by drowning in the Batteau Channel. From what we can learn the young men went out in a punt to the schr. Morning Star and took off Captain Ledford. In returning to the Island the boat capsized, and the three men were thrown into the water. Captain Ledford swam to the schooner and was picked up, but the McCarthys were both drowned in attempting to swim ashore. We learn that both young men were highly respected on the Island, and their untimely death is greatly regretted.
  8. Major repairs in 1878
  9. 4 Oct 1880 : Bound from Gananoque, Ont. for Oswego, NY, Capt. John Brown, with 8600 bushels barley, wrecked in a storm 7 miles east of Oswego, NY.
  10. References to the schooner Picton appear in C.H.J Snider's work:
    "Schooner Days" no. XLVI (46); First into Port, The Blower Boys, 7 May 1932
    "Schooner Days" no. CLIV (154); First into Port, 1 Sep 1934
    "Schooner Days" no. DCVI (606); Gone Port Chronicles – Callers of Long Ago, 4 September 1943
    "Schooner Days" no. DCLXXXIII (683); Lily of three L's, 10 March 1945

References and source notes

(2-7) Ken Chrighton and Naval Marine Archive (8) Nnewspaper cuttings can be found at Maritime History of the Great Lakes, Newspaper Transcriptons
(9, 10) Naval Marine Archive, Willis Metcalfe fonds
(11) C.H.J. Snider Schooner Days index, Naval Marine Archive.

Picton built ships

The research and preparation of these data sheets was carried out by K.C. We extend our thanks to him.

Back to the regional search index.

Back to the top of this page.

Source notes are listed at the end of the data.

 



Naval Marine ArchiveThe Canadian Collection
205 Main Street, Picton, Ontario, K0K2T0, Canada
Telephone: 1 613 476 1177
E-mail: for comments, queries and suggestions.



Copyright © 2025
Naval Marine Archive
The Canadian Collection

Revised: 18 July 2015