The schooner Starling (1873)
Port of Picton Registry, Number : 41
|Name: STARLING||Type: Schooner|
|Tons (gross): 248||Tons (net): 198|
|Where Built: Roblin's Mills, Sophiasburg||Port of Registry / Hail: Picton|
|Build Year: 1873||Value:|
|Builder’s Name and Date of Certification: John Tait, 17 May 1873|
|Master’s Name: S. Collier||Subscribing Owners: Solomon & Jacob Collier|
|Length: 108 feet||Breadth: 24 feet and 10 inches|
|Depth of Hold: 10 feet||Masts: Two|
|Stern: Square||Bowsprit: Standing|
|How Built: Carvel||How Rigged: Schonner fore and aft.|
|Figure-head: None||Decks: Two|
See also the entry for the schooner Starling in our ships Database.
Starling Click for enlargement.
- Subscribing Owners: Solomon & Jacob Collier, sold to J. Starling & Peter Conger of Belleville & Toronto, dated May 31, 1873
- CARRIED TO NEW BOOK.
- I have from enquiries made, reliable information that this vessel is lost, destroyed, or broken up. Register closed on December 31, 1897. (Author Unknown)
1873, May 17 : Launched
1873, May 31 : owned by Cornelius J. Starling, Belleville, Ontario and Peter D. Conger, Toronto, Ontario; for Cleveland, Ohio-Toronto coal trade)
1881, April 2 : owned by C.J. Starling, Belleville and J.A. Pease, et.al., Port Rowan, Ontario
1881, June 30 : owned by J.A. Pease and F.A. Stearns, et.al., Port Rowan
1883, November 9 : owned by Eliz. H. Stearns, Port Rowan
1887, February 24 : owned by Thomas Charlton, Lynedoch, Ontario
1891, December 8 : owned by John Charlton, Lynedoch
1893, February 23 : owned by Ellen Mullins, Capt. Michael Mullins, Belleville.
1895, January 29 : burned, Toronto, Ontario
1897, December 31 : Registry closed
Newspaper and other transcriptions
- Daily News (Kingston, ON), May 21, 1873 A new vessel built by Tait for C.S. Wilson & Co., was launched on Saturday at Roblin's Mills, eight miles from Picton. She is a fine model, and will carry about 13,500 bushels of wheat or 400 tons of coal. She was sold to P.D. Conger of Toronto and C.J. Starling of Belleville, who intend to place her, together with five or six other vessels, in the coal trade between Cleveland and Toronto, and have named her the Starling.
- Buffalo Commercial Advertiser May 23, 1873. A new vessel, the STARLING, was launched a few days since near Picton, she will carry 13,500 bu. wheat. She is intended for the coal trade between Cleveland and Toronto.
- Casualty List for 1874 Chicago Inter-Ocean, Dec. 25, 1874 STARLING Schooner, ashore and jettisoned 700 bushels barley, at Port Dalhousie, November 1874. Property loss, hull $200, cargo $300.
- List of Vessels on the Registry Book of the Dominion of canada on December 31, 1886. Schooner STARLING. [no number] Of 198 tons register. Built Sophiasburgh, Ont., 1873. Home port, Picton, Ont. 108.0 x 24.8 x 10.0. Owned by W.O. Stearns, of Port Rowan, Ont.
- British Whig, 4 February 1895, p.1 Schooner Starling Burned. -- Toronto, Jan. 30th - A Belleville vessel lying at the foot of Cherry St. was destroyed by fire last evening. Capt. Michael Mullins and his wife, who live aboard, left the boat at about seven o'clock to visit friends and on their return found their vessel on fire. It was an hour before the blaze was extinguished. The schr. Starling hails from Belleville, Mrs. Mullins, of that place, being the owner. The value of the boat was about $4,000, which will be a total loss, as there is no insurance.
- British Whig, 31 October 1895, p.1 Movings in Marine Circles: The schooner STARLING, burned in Toronto was built in 1873 by shipbuilder Tait at Roblins Mills. The STARLING was actively engaged in the lake traffic for 22 years.
- References to the schooner Starling appear in C.H.J Snider's work:
Schooner Days CCLXVI (266) Thirty-Eight Christenings For One Prince Edward Lady, 14 Nov 1936